Work With Us
Expressing an interest in working for STAR is the most sincere form of flattery we can receive. Thank you for considering us as a place of employment. When job openings become available, they are posted here.
Bilingual Resource Advocate – Capital Area Branch
The Bilingual Resource Advocate performs a variety of duties involved in providing support and advocacy for the rights and protection of survivors of sexual trauma and their loved ones. Click here to review the complete job description. Interested candidates can apply online here. Applicants must submit their resume and cover letter. This position will be open until filled.
Part-time Medical Advocate – Central Louisiana Branch
The Medical Advocate performs a variety of duties involved in providing support and advocacy for the rights and protection of survivors of sexual trauma and their loved ones. The primary duty of the Medical Advocate is to accompany survivors of sexual assault to CHRISTUS St. Frances Cabrini Hospital (Rapides Parish), Avoyelles Hospital (Avoyelles Parish), or Doctors Hospital at Deer Creek (Vernon Parish) in order to provide support and resources before, during, and after a forensic medical exam. Medical Advocate are also responsible for answering the 24 hour hotline during designated shifts. Medical Advocates are expected to be available on holidays, nights, and weekends. Click here to review the complete job description. Interested candidates can apply online here.
STAR’s internship program supports the agency mission through graduate and undergraduate internships and offers a collaborative, supportive and creative learning environment with many opportunities for students to work autonomously with the guidance of a supervisor, integrate theory and practice, and develop new projects and initiatives within a non-profit, social service organization. Individuals interested in interning at STAR can click here to apply.
What You Should Know About Our Internships
- Internship hours can be part-time and schedules are flexible. The minimum number of hours may be established by individual school requirements.
- Each student intern will have administrative supervision from a staff person in their field of study. For graduate internships, clinical supervision is available for those requiring LCSW supervision in social work.
- Undergraduate internships must be at least 1 semester in length. Some positions may require longer commitments.
- Graduate internships must be at least 2 semesters in length.
- For internships involving direct services, STAR’s 40-hour CORE Advocacy Training is required. It is expected that interns complete this training prior to beginning their internship.
- Most internships are available year-round.
- Applicants must consent to and successfully complete a full background investigation, which includes a criminal history check and finger printing.
- There may be more than one student in each internship position at any given time as the number of internships available varies depending on the program and position.
- Students are required to submit a professional cover letter and resume and attend an interview to be considered for an internship position.
- Internships are in high demand and the number of internships available may be limited. Because of this, it is strongly recommended that students begin the application process as early as possible.
- Internships are unpaid.
STAR uses a variety of strategies to raise revenue from private sources that will support our mission and services. The Development Intern will be responsible for both assisting and developing a variety of projects that include but are not limited to: research, data entry, updating our donor database, identifying corporate and foundation funders, working on grants and working with staff to keep track of current funding sources and increasing our pool of potential donors. STAR is seeking a motivated individual who is willing to work independently and within a team setting. Please click here to apply for this internship. To view the complete internship description, click here.